This is part five in the “Preparing For Sunday” series.
Here are five examples of prayers you can pray to help prepare your heart for Sunday. We serve an incredibly gracious God who is eager to answer these prayers.
- Saturday night: “Oh Lord, please give me the gift of sleep right now, that I might awake refreshed and ready to meet with you. Give me the strength to rise early for the purpose of preparing my heart.”
- Sunday morning before church: “Lord, open my eyes right now to see wonderful things in Your word. Fill me with Your Spirit now as I ready myself for church. Prepare my heart to sing songs of praise. Give me a soft heart to hear and apply Your word as it is preached.”
- As the singing begins: “Lord draw my heart upward in worship to You. Warm my heart with affections for you, and guard me from singing with my lips but having a cold heart.”
- As the preaching begins: “Lord give me a tender heart towards Your word. Let Your glorious truth grip my heart, and open my eyes to see Your glory. Guard me from the temptation of hearing Your word without applying it. Help me to listen with humility.”
- At the conclusion of the service: “Lord give me grace now to fellowship with Your saints. My heart is selfish and would rather go home and sleep. Let me feel the very affection of Christ Jesus for these people. Help me to encourage them and build their faith for Your glory.”
The following two tabs change content below.
I’m married to Jen, and I have three kids. I know a lot about Star Wars, and I live in a van down by the river. I’ve also written a number of books, which people seem to like.
Latest posts by Stephen Altrogge (see all)
- Five Signs You Were Definitely A Hardcore Church Kid - January 28, 2015
- We’re Asking The Wrong Question When We Go To Church - January 26, 2015
- Ask Celebrity Pastor: How Do I Energize My Dead Worship Service? - January 21, 2015