My Book: Game Day For The Glory of God

Gameday Cover

Some of you may know that I recently wrote a book entitled Game Day for the Glory of God: A Guide for Athletes, Fans, and Wannabes. In his incredible mercy, God has opened many doors for this book to be published through Crossway Books. The book will be out in September of this year. Here’s a little blurb that will accompany the book in Crossway catalogs:

Biblical guidance on playing, watching, and discussing sports in a God-glorifying manner, helping believers grow in both their love for God and their passion for holiness.

Scripture calls Christians to do everything for the glory of God. That means every thought, every word, and every deed are to be done in a way that brings pleasure and honor to him. Believe it or not, this includes playing, watching, and talking sports! But most of us fail to recognize how sports fit into the big picture of a God-glorifying life, unable to imagine that the God who created the universe might actually care about Little League games and Monday Night Football.

So how do we play, watch, and talk sports for Godís glory? Game Day for the Glory of God seeks to answer that question from a biblical perspective. Sports fan Stephen Altrogge aims to help readers enjoy sports as a gift from God and to see sports as a means of growing in godliness.

What a blessing to work with these folks!

Comments

1. Greg Hartnett Jr. says

Can’t wait to read it Stephen! Definitely something that is verrry applicable, at least for me being the sports nut that I am (and I must admit, at times I do allow anger or frustration to get the best of me while watching or participating in sports). Definitely a very important subject, considering how consumed our culture is with sports, and how ultimately sports can either be an idol or a way to worship God. Thanks for writing this book and for being a solid example to so many!

2. Stephen Altrogge says

Greg – As a fellow Pittsburgh sports nut, I wrote it out of my own joys and sins. I hope it helps you!

3. Tim says

Stephen – Sounds like a good read. Though given your desire to excel in cricket and squash … I dunno …

-tim

Mostly soccer though we call it football. That would probably be the biggest sport here, though I’m not really into it that much, I only keep tabs on it cause its a good to have some knowledge of it for conversations sake.
    I’d rather be bodyboarding, all terrain boarding or climbing, caving etc.

Your into cricket? Thats more of a British sport isn’t it? My grandad had great designs on me playing cricket but I never really had much interest.

5. Stephen Altrogge says

I’m not really into cricket. I made a joke on an earlier post about wanting to be a good cricket player, but in reality I have no idea how to play cricket. I don’t like sports where they stop to drink tea…

Haha, I know the feeling! though I remember taking a mile of a crawl down a cave to see Europes largest stalectite, greatly enjoyed a cup of tea from a flask before crawling back – the veiw in the cavern was pretty amazing so I guess tea break isn’t that bad all the time