The Story of God’s Goodness

SunOh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! Psalm 31:19

My life is a story of God’s goodness. Sit down, grab a cup of java, and let me tell you a little bit about it.

I was born into a Christian home where I heard the gospel all the time. That’s goodness. I could have been born into a Mecca-loving Muslim family in Turkey and never heard the gospel. Jesus Christ drew me to himself when I was six years old, and I was given the classic Christian-home bathtub-baptism. More goodness. By drawing me to himself when I was little, God spared me many years of enslavement to sin.

I may have become a Christian at age six, but I still did some seriously wicked (in the bad sense) sinning as a kid. When I was thirteen years old I woke up in the middle of the night, terrified of the consequences of my sin. I made some major changes after that horrible night. That was God being good to me. He could have let me wander in my sin, but he loves me, and so he convicted me.

I could keep going, with stories of marriage, and babies, and sweet encounters with God. The point is, God has been so good to me in the past.† Has God been good to you?† Can you trace the lines of his goodness in the past?

But the story doesn’t stop there. According to Psalm 31:19, I’ve got a future full of God’s goodness ahead of me.

And it’s not just a mediocre, sometimes-there, tiny stream of goodness. No, as a Christian, I’ve got a future that’s full of God’s abundant, overflowing goodness. Each day, for the next week, and year, and decade, I will experience God’s goodness. Will I experience hardship? Yes. Will I endure painful trials. Without a doubt. But all of these experiences will be sweetened by the goodness of God. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know it will be good.

If you’re a Christan, this 100%, Bible-certified truth applies to you. Do you believe it? Do you believe that because you are in Christ, and God’s child, that you have a future full of abundant goodness? Do you believe that tomorrow as you go to work, or change diapers, or write term papers, you will experience the goodness and kindness of God?

Right now you’re under God’s goodness, whether you feel it or not. Let’s thank him for it. Let’s rejoice in the abundant, unending goodness that we have to look forward to.

What about you? What’s your story of God’s goodness?

+photo by mysza831

Comments

1. Stephen Altrogge says

Becca – Thanks for your encouragement about Sunday.

It's pretty amazing when we look back at the way God providentially led us to himself. Okay, it's more than amazing, it's incredible. God knows exactly what we need to lead us to himself!

Matt – I heard Piper say that God intends to pour out his grace upon us throughout the ages in heaven. That is certainly something to look forward to!

2. Becca says

Thanks Stephen for yet another excellent post! (and P.S. well done on Sunday too!)

I’ve recently been very aware of what an incredible blessing is the gift of hindsight. As we experience the ups and downs of life, it’s difficult to see how what we are experiencing at the time could fit into a greater plan. However, when we look back, after we have experienced the wonderful fruits of God’s plan for our lives, we can often trace the footsteps that got us there. Often we are amazed at how we would not be blessed as we are, if we had not experienced some particular hardship previously. Even now as I look back at the stepping stones to my own salvation I am dumbstruck by how well our Savior knows me, and how well he knew what it would take to lead my own stubborn will to him. I am so thankful that He allows me to see a little of how he works in my life!

Stephen, thanks for writing this one. It is all too easy to forget just how good God is to me. Thanks for reminding. And, like you pointed out, the craziest thing is that no matter how good He’s been, it all pales in comparison to what He has in store for us!

This past winter I felt like I caught some glimpses of God’s sovereignty in my life through the timing of things.

Then last month Phil 4:6-7 may have come true for me. I wondered if I received that peace from vs. 7, and for me, wondering if I had it was something big.

God has blessed me through my church and my upbringing.

Thank you for the reminder to be thankful for God’s goodness.

5. Stephen Altrogge says

Sara – Thanks for sharing your testimony. Looks like the links works!

Rachael – Glad you were encouraged!

6. Stephen Altrogge says

Emily – Thanks for sharing your story as well. It’s so good to remember how God has providentially used events to draw us to himself!

What a wonderful post! God’s promises are always so precious to hear again and again. And his promises came exactly when I needed to hear them. Thanks so much, Stephen, for being the minister of God’s truths to me!

I just wanted to humbly and joyfully thank the Lord for two things in my life that were and are quite difficult for me. The first happened in the past while the second is still happening in the present.

1. I thank God that, although my father died many years ago, God has been my Heavenly Father. In fact, as horrible as it sounds, I do believe that if my father hadn’t passed away (and I hope gone to be with the Lord), from a human perspective I never would’ve come to the Lord. So the death of my father, although itself an evil since death is our great enemy, God in his goodness used to draw me to himself. Our gracious Heavenly Father does all things well.

2. I thank God that, although I recently had my heart broken in a failed courtship or dating, in which I moved from my home state of California to the Midwest in the winter to pursue a godly girl, I trust that this too is for my good and God’s glory, whereby God allows me to share in his holiness through it. It’s so easy for me to think that this is the end of everything, and that I ought to be content as a single man serving the Lord, and maybe that’s true, but at the same time I trust that whether I serve the Lord in singleness or in marriage that it is because God knows it is the very best for me. And in this I rejoice and thank God for his goodness to me! After all, he who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? All things work together for good for his people.

Speaking of which, I love the lyrics in the song “Count It All Joy” on the Worship God Live album (thank God for you guys, Sovereign Grace Music!):

Lord Iíll count it all joy
    When the weight of sorrow
    Drives me to my knees
    Every heartache and pain
    In Your mighty hands
    Is forming Christ in me

8. Stephen Altrogge says

Patrick – Thanks for sharing your thoughts and struggles. It’s so good to see you honoring God even in the midst of difficulties. God is pleased!