How To Have Hope

One of the special gifts God gives his children is hope.

Trials may batter us down like waves of the ocean but somehow we come bobbing back up, like human corks.? Though at times we may be cast down and discouraged, God gives us hope through his Word.? Sometimes God pours hope into our hearts without our asking.? But at other times we must fight for hope, like fish swimming against the current.

I fight for hope with these verses from Lamentations:

But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.? ? Lamentations 3:21-23

Note the connection between actively calling certain truths to mind and gaining hope.? ?But this I call to mind and THEREFORE I have hope.”

Hope arises in our hearts as we intentionally remember God?s character and promises. We must call God’s character and promises to mind, as did Jeremiah, who reminded himself of these truths:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. God?s love is steadfast: steady, faithful, unceasing.? His love is more constant than the seasons, more dependable than the sunrise.? Neither life, death, demons, disease, enemies, or our own personal failures can separate us from God?s love in Christ.

His mercies never come to an end.
God has bags and bags of mercies stored up for us.? He?s an ocean of mercy with no shores.? In Christ we?ll continue receiving grace upon grace for all eternity.? It will take the coming ages for God to begin to show us his immeasurable kindness to us in Christ (Eph 2.7).

God?s mercies are new every morning. Each dawn, we awake to find the ground covered with the manna of fresh mercies.? God has new surprises for you today, grace you haven?t imagined – unexpected answers to prayer, wisdom for your children, provision for your table, solutions to thorny problems.? Fresh comfort and new strength is coming.

Great is God?s faithfulness. It reaches to the heavens.? He who sustains the galaxies will uphold our lives.? The One who provides for? lions and lacewings, sparrows and lilies, who waters the forests and feeds the teeming creatures of the oceans, will be faithful to those he purchased with his Son?s blood.? GREAT is his faithfulness.

Call these things to mind.? Grab your thoughts by the collar.? Remind yourself of Christ?s unceasing, steadfast love.? Recall throughout the day that his mercies will never end.? Thank him for his mercies that are new each morning.? Praise him for his great faithfulness.? Add faith to God’s promises and God will cause hope to begin to rise in your heart.

How about you?? Do you have a Scripture you regularly call to mind that brings hope to your heart?

photo by James Jordan

Comments

1. Wendy says

It is interesting that you posted this- because this is often the scripture that I call to mind. As I have gone through various trials this past summer, I have thought about the fact that His mercies are new each morning. This is such a hope to me. To know that I didn’t use up His grace and mercy yesterday with all of my sin and all of my problems, is such a comfort to my soul. Each morning, as I leave my house, and our neighborhood is quiet and peaceful and the sun is still coming up, it is encouraging to know that God, my loving Father, has fresh grace and fresh mercy to bring peace and quiet to my soul. What an awesome God we serve.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith?more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire?may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

-God isn’t just merciful, He has great mercy
    -He caused me to be born again (He who began a good work will finish it to completion…)
    -Because of Jesus and His resurrection I have a living hope, it’s alive and active, not dead
    -The result of my trials is the praise of His glory (and my good). His reputation is mad great when I respond to trial correctly.
    -While on this earth, I am being guarded by God’s power (Ro.1:16). He protects me, He keeps me, He watches over me, He keeps me from error!!!.

Thank you for this post! Very encouraging this morning!

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:5-8

For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. Romans 6:14

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise?the fruit of lips that confess his name. Hebrews 13:15

He is my refuge. As Luther put it, He is never failing. The little ship of my life may be battered by the waves but according to Psalm 62, I will not be shaken. I love how it says He ALONE is my hope. not finances. not a spouse. not health. He alone is my hope.

Romans 6 is also helpful for bringing hope in my life. Hope because through the cross, I’m no longer a slave to sin. I am not held captive by my flesh. That bondage has been freed!

Thanks for this post. Its very timely for me.

4. faith2pray says

Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

I love him…He loves me more…His promises never fail…everything is for my good and for HIS GLORY!

This is such a timely post for me. Thanks for posting this. I read this in the midst of my day and it helped me to pull my focus towards the God of all hope.

Isaiah 49:23b
    Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.

Isaiah 45:19
    I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob’s descendants, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

One passage in Scripture that I love (well two actually) when I’m feeling doubtful or hopeless are both from Isaiah:

“You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called from its remotest parts and said to you, ‘You are My servant, I have chosen you and not rejected you. Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'”

and

“‘Remember the former things long past, for I am God and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, ‘My purposes will be established, and I will accomplish all my good pleasure'; calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of My purpose from a far country. Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass. I have planned it; surely I will do it.'”