Can Our Sins Mess Up God?s Plans?

Sin can really mess up our lives, not to mention send us to hell.

Our sins play havoc with us, and sometimes we wind up eating the fruit of our disobedience for years.? Sometimes it can seem like we?ve derailed God?s design for our lives and now he’s had to opt for plan B. But that is simply not true.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28)

ALL things work together for good, including our sins.

God is in no way responsible when we blow it, for God is not the author of sin.? But somehow even our worst sins and mistakes fall under the umbrella of his supreme plan for our lives.

God is so awesome he can take our wickedness and use it to accomplish his purposes.? When Jacob duped his father and swindled his big brother Esau, God used it to fulfill his prophecy that the older would serve the younger.? When Joseph unwisely boasted of his dreams to his brothers, God used his foolishness to provoke his brothers to sell him to slave traders who dragged him to Egypt where God exalted him to spare thousands from starving, including his scheming brothers.

When Jonah fled in the opposite direction from where God commanded him, God used Jonah?s rebellion to reveal himself to pagan sailors on the ship he?d taken:

Then they said to him, ?Tell us on whose account this evil has come upon us. What is your occupation? And where do you come from? What is your country? And of what people are you??? And he said to them, ?I am a Hebrew, and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.?? Then the men were exceedingly afraid and said to him, ?What is this that you have done!? For the men knew that he was fleeing from the presence of the Lord, because he had told them. (Jonah 1:8-10)

David began his relationship with Bathsheba with adultery, deception and murder.? Yet God gave them Solomon, author of Proverbs and one of Israel?s greatest kings.? Not even the worst sins can stymie God’s purpose.

Regret can easily slide into self-pity.? And excessive regret is an insult to God, because we are saying what Christ did on the cross was somehow not enough to remove all our guilt.? Excessive regret is also an insult to God?s sovereignty, because we are saying that our sins are too hard for God to turn to good.

Now DO NOT go out and sin, thinking God will use it for good.? For sin has painful consequences.? But if you believe your sins have ruined God’s plans for you, know that the cross of Christ and the power of God is infinitely greater than your offenses.? God hasn’t opted for plan B.

photo by spiicytuna

Comments

1. Wendy says

Thank you for another excellent reminder. It is easy for me to think that – as bad as my sin is – it is some how too difficult for God. God knows that I am a sinner and he knew when he created the plan for my life that I would sin. He isn’t surprised!!

It is also interesting because, after God bringing Romans 8:28 to mind last night, I have now seen it in two separate places this morning… I think God must be wanting me to remember it!

What a great reminder. Thank you! The end of Ro. 8:28 is a helpful reminder to me…”for those who are called according to His purpose.” He’s the one with a plan. He’s the one powerful enough to defeat sin and one day bring me to Heaven. His purpose can’t be thwarted. He is more powerful than my sin. What an amazing God I serve.

Hey there Mark!
    Once again thank you for the excellent reminder that our God is sovereign!
    I love what Paul goes on to say in chapter 8 of Romans, that nothing, not death, life, angels, principalities things from our past our present no created thing, when Paul says ‘no created thing’ he means us! nothing can deter God in his purpose to save us! not even our sin!
    Once again Mark you have made my morning, I really needed this reminder today, Thank You!!
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

Thanks Mark,
    God’s been using Romans 8 in some amazing ways in my life this week… thanks for this post as yet another reminder of His awesome power.

I’m so glad nothing can separate me from His love… not even my sin. What a powerful truth!

Thank you for this wonderful reminder and this post too.

I am so thankful for Romans 8:28 and so thankful for that no one can snatch us believer out of His (Jesus’) hand and out of the Father’s Hand. (reference to John 9:29-30)

Hungry to eat His Word,
    ‘Guerite ~ BoldLion

We have been studying Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in one of our classes. Again and again you see them sin by lying, cheating, etc., yet it never stops the forward progress of the covenant.

Thank you so much for the reminder Mark! I often do struggle with believing the “plan B” lie. I start to get confused when I think about the sovereignty of God in light of our sins, so I generally just praise God for being so good that we can’t even understand it! Such a good reminder though. Thank you for having such a Godly but real blog and for sharing with all of us daily :]

Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging comments. It means a lot to me that you’d take the time to add your thoughts.

Wendy,

Amen – God’s not surprised by our sins. Ro 8.28 is one of my all-time favorite verses.

Yeller,

Amen. HE’s the one with the plan! I like that.

Ron,

Good insight – No created thing means us! Excellent.

Emily,

You’re so right, not even our sin can separate us from his love – isn’t that wonderful?

Guerite,

We’re “unsnatchable” – another one of my favorite verses.

Jon,

Great observation – from earliest times the failure of God’s servants can’t stop him!

Emily,

Thanks for your kind words.

Jeri,

Thank you. I’m grateful the Lord would use my feeble efforts to encourage you.

Rachel,

There’s no plan B for you. Thank you for your continual encouragement.

Karlie,

No plan B for you either. Only 1 plan and God will accomplish it!