New Site Design

I’m trying out a new site design. Let me know what you guys think about it and if you have any problems. Thanks!

13 Comments

• Hannah says:

The new design is very simple and uncluttered, but I liked the previous header.

• Erik says:

Here is my $.02: I echo the comment above me. The previous header was very creative yet not overwhelming. I do think this theme is not cluttered at all and very simplistic, however, I liked the previous theme better.

• Brance says:

I like it. But then again, I use the same theme on the youth group website for our church. :-)

• Hi Stephen,

I just recently saw this theme myself. I thought it looked pretty good. I’m a fan of simplicity (usually).

Overall I think I like this one better. However, you need to personalize it a little more… add the cooler header (the one everyone seems to adore), add some personal touches. I think this theme could work out better for you if you change a few things.

Also, while I’m talking about site design, consider making it a little easier to get around on your site. I’ve always thought you’d benefit from including some links to recent posts in your sidebar. And switch your Top Posts with your Blogroll. No one really cares about blogrolls (with a few exceptions… including those who are on them :) ). We do care about your most popular posts. Get those up top. We want to see your best stuff… and the stories that are very personal.

Okay, that’s more like my five cents (or more). Take it for what it’s worth. Hope it helps.

– Marshall

• Nice and simple. I like the “grunge” look. I agree with everyone, I would do a more creative/Altrogge header. ;) Like the simplicity, yet “edgy” look.

• TimK says:

Stephen:

Thumbs down from me for these reasons:
    (1) header and navigation take at least 25% of the screen on my 19″ monitor
    (2) fill-ins for leaving comments (name, mail, website, etc) are almost invisible
    (3) left margin, about 20% of the horizontal space on my monitor, is completely unused. Similarly unused space on the right margin. So about 40% of the screen is whitespace for me.
    (4) given the above, I probably wouldn’t check the site on a mobile device (pda, smart phone, etc) with a small viewing space.

BTW, I checked the new design in two browsers, IE and Opera. Same look in both.

Thanks for asking for our input!

• beth says:

well i thinkkkkk

i actually don’t even remember what the old them was …

switching things up. not a bad idea.

• Anonymous says:

i don’t like it as much as the old one…but it’s not horrible, either.

• Ben says:

Some text is too big and some is too small…

• Courtney says:

Hmm… I’m feeling a bit lopsided but I think I’ll get used to that. My only complaint would be that this here box I’m typing in was very difficult to find. Pert nere i’visible(that’s my cowboy speak fer today).

• Stephen Altrogge says:

Thanks everyone for you’re help! I’ll try to implement some of those changes.

• Josh says:

I am quite fond of the new theme – especially with the snazzy header; very cool!

• Oh Stephen,

I’d also like the header logo to be clickable. Link it to your homepage. I know you have a home page link right above it but still. I’m more likely to try to click on the logo anyway, and it looks less professional if it’s not linked.

– Marshall