The New Year always offers hope for a new start, hope for change. So on Dec. 31, many people make daring resolutions to do things like run 18 miles a day, floss before, during and after meals, and quit listening to Barry Manilow.? Years ago I abandoned making audacious New Years? resolutions, because I have the willpower of a famished hyena face to face with a medium rare sirloin steak.
Yet I have hope to change.? Because I have an iron will and incredible self-discipline?? Nope.? My hope for change is Christ.? If you?re a believer, Jesus is your hope too.? Here are a few reasons why:
- Because the Father loves you so much he gave his one and only Son to save you.? If the Father loves you that much, surely he?ll help you change.
- Because the Son the Father gave you is the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, and the Prince of Peace who cares for you like an Everlasting Father (IS 9).? Jesus employs all his amazing attributes for you.
- Because God will get glory by transforming you.
- Because God has predestined you to be conformed to the image Christ (RO 8.29).
- Because God has promised to complete the good work he began in you (PHP 1.6).
- Because the Holy Spirit will produce the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control in your life.
- Because Jesus? rule in your life will keep increasing and advancing (IS 9.7).
- Because Jesus himself is interceding for you day and night (HE 7.25).
We should use all God?s means of grace to grow – reading and meditating on Scripture, prayer, fellowship, worship, communion.? But our hope for change is our mighty Savior, not ourselves.? So take courage – Jesus is at work in you!
photo by ali edwards