Try Writing Prayers

Want to add a new dimension to your prayer life?? Want to be able to concentrate better and daydream less when praying?? Consider writing out prayers as part of your devotional life.

Many saints in times past expressed their hearts and laid their requests before God in writing.? For example, many of the Psalms were written prayers.? For example, Psalm 17 is called ?A Prayer of David?.

Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry!
Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit! (PS 17.1)

The Valley of Vision is a collection of prayers from the journals of puritans (these are great for devotional use).

I have found that writing prayers has a number of benefits:? Writing helps me concentrate, focus and keep my mind from wandering.? Writing slows me down and helps me quiet my heart before God.? Writing also helps me keep from praying the same things every day.

When I write out prayers, then I have them to use again in the future.? Often, reading a prayer I?ve written before helps me jumpstart my prayer time.

Also, writing out prayers helps me better remember specific things I want to thank God for or ask him for.

Writing out prayers of thanksgiving for specific blessings is a good way to look back and see ways God has worked in your life.? One man said that he writes ?Yesterday? at the top of a page each morning and writes things he?s thankful for from the previous day.? What a wonderful record he?ll have after years of recording God?s blessings.

You don?t have to be flowery or long-winded.? Most of the time I only write one page.? It takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes at the most.? Try it!

photo by Lost in Scotland

Comments

1. Bob says

Mark,

What a great reminder not only for ourselves but as a way of encouragement to others. In our Shepherd Group we actually pick one person that we will pray for that week and then sometimes we will write the prayer to them during the middle of the week. I know I have been so encouraged during the week when I receive a written prayer from one of the guys that shows up in my email. I love writing prayers and sometimes model them after the Psalms. I know my kids and my wife have some of the prayers that I have written over the years in their Bibles and that encourages me to continue to write my prayers for them. Thanks again for your wise counsel.

I love to journal. I used to take more than a year to fill a small journal. But my journaling habits took a dramatic change a couple of years ago when I overheard a friend talking about her journals, that her entries were letters to God, more like prayers and honest reflection than a diary. Such a simple thing– journaling to God– was a brand new idea to me. I decided to try my friend’s method, and began each entry with “Dearest Father…” It was a breath of fresh air, and it brought new depth and purpose to my devotional times with God. Now I fill four Moleskines a year with “conversational prayers” to God. It has had such an incredible impact on my walk with Him!

P.S.- The Vally of Vision is, indeed, amazing. My favorite book.

Hey Mark!
    I love journaling, it has proven to be very beneficial in my walk with the Lord. I started writing down prayers in my journal, nothing extremely profound..sometimes it’s just a simple note saying HELP!!!
    I use The Valley of Vision as well, I’ve been sharing some of the prayers with our worship team on practice nights. It has proven to be a very helpful resource, especially when words escape me! (my wife would say that’s rare!):)
    Once again thank you for another encouraging post, I look forward to these each and every day!
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

4. Megan Liz says

What a wonderful idea! I need to try that. It’s much easier for me to express myself through writing than through speaking, plus if I write I’ll have a record. And I agree, The Valley of Vision is wonderful! I love it!

Bob,

I like your idea of sending a prayer to someone during the week. And the idea of writing prayers for your wife and kids. Great ideas!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comments! I usually do something similar, beginning my prayers with O Father, or Dear Jesus or something similar. I like your idea of journaling in the form of writing a letter to the Lord.

Boaly,

Yep!

Hey Ron,

I appreciate you mentioning that our journaling and writing prayers doesn’t need to be profound. I know that if anyone read my journals they wouldn’t be particularly impressed. Thanks for your encouragement!

Hi Megan,

Yeah, give it a try. I think you’ll enjoy the process and enjoy the Lord through it.

I sometimes write out my prayers. Another thing I got kind-of recently is a small notebook in which I want to record things that I appreciate. When looking at a book in a Christian bookstore, I came across the idea of having a ‘Thankfulness Journal’. I look forward to developing my appreciation notebook or whatever. The pages each have “Whatever is lovely…think about such things.” written on them. I only have 2 pages, but used markers and simple, child-ish looking sketches and some words. I think it’s special, and I hope it’ll help cultivate an attitude of gratitude…

Great idea Rachael! I like it – a Thankfulness Journal. I have a non Christian friend who keeps a daily journal and he only writes good things in it, like ‘went fishing today with friends’, he writes nothing bad that happens to him. If we wrote only 1 thing/day we were thankful for, we’d have quite a list at the end of the year.