What Are You Reading?

In recent days I’ve been absolutely loving (can I use the phrase “lovin’ on”?) the book A Gospel Primer by Milton Vincent.

This book is a short, rich, gospel-saturated book that is intended to help the Christian rehearse and remember the gospel every day. A single paragraph in this book is enough to encourage and build my soul.

Listen to this rich quote:

There is simply no other way to compete with the forebodings of my conscience, the condemnings of my heart, and the lies of the world and the Devil than to overwhelm such things with daily rehearsings of the gospel.

Doesn’t that quote absolutely blow your socks/stockings/liederhosen right off? This is a great book, well worth the few bucks it costs.

A few other books I’ve been reading or read over Christmas:

Making It All Work – David Allen (recommend)

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA - Tim Weiner (recommend)

Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile - Rob Bell (do not recommend)

Tribes – Seth Godin (blah)

Talent Is Overrated - Geoff Colvin (recommend)

Okay, now I want to hear from you. What’s on your reading list? Or on your “to read” list?

Comments

My book list is far too long to include here. My currently reading list:
    1. Humility, by Andrew Murray
    2. How to Worship Jesus Christ, by Joseph Carroll
    3. Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotionals, compiled by Arthur Bennett

Up-and-coming:
    1. Hudson Taylor: The Growth of a Soul

Can I just say that it’s fantastic that you read a bunch of books at the same time!

1. Suffering and the Sovereignty of God (John Piper & Justin Taylor)
    2. Because He Loves Me (Elyse Fizpatrick)
    3. The Message of the New Testament: 1 Thessalonians (Mark Dever)
    4. Wives & Daughters (Elisabeth Gaskell)
    5. Infindel (Ted Dekker)

My favorite Vincent quote (excellent book, btw!!!).

Doing right is not always easy, but it is never more easy than when one is breathing deeply the atmosphere of the gospel

4. J Kinnard says

Heroes – Paul Johnson
    Byzantium – Stephen Lawhead
    The Expansion of Evangelicalism – John Wolffe
    Get Known Before the Book Deal – Christina Katz
    Tribes – Seth Godin

Vince Flynn – Separation of Power (this boy can spin a good story)

Learn to read New Testament Greek by David Alan Black. Actually…I’ve read chapter 1 three times…does this count as a ‘currently reading’ or a ‘to read’?

To Read:
    What is a healthy Church? Mark Dever.

A good deal of my bookpile is becuse of current teching or possible furture teaching/ small group material:
    Beginner’s Guide to Spiritual Warfare (Anderson and Warner)
    Worldliness (CJ Mahaney, et al)
    Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives (Swindoll)
    Sinner (Dekker)
    What In The World Is Going On (David Jeremiah)
    Crazy Love (Francis Chan)

7. Wendy says

It makes me crazy to read that many books at the same time- I am currently reading Transforming Grace by Jerry Bridges and it is excellent. On my “to read” list-

Running Scared by Edward Welch

Valley of Vision

next on the list:
    Knowing God: JI Packer
    The Normal Christian Life: Watchman Nee
    The Hidden Smile of God: John Piper
    The Cross of Christ: John Stott

my whole list would be way too long to post here. :)

Hey there Stephen,
    I just finished a book by S.J. Hill, “Enjoying God” interesting book, kind of went along with Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storms, which I’m almost finished with that one.
    I just started reading The Prodigal God by Tim Keller, great book on the parable of the prodigal son, very convicting read. I’m getting ready to start reading The Atonement by Leon Morris, and my worship team is going through Worship Matters by Bo Kaufflin. I’m so thankful for the books that the Lord uses in our lives, books are a great gift that He has given to us.
    On the stack:
    Spurgeon by Arnold Dallimore
    Spectacular Sins by John Piper
    The Cross of Christ by Stott
    Engaging with God by David Peterson
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

Too many books. Here are the highlights.
    The Prodigal God by Tim Keller (excellent)
    What’s So Great about Christianity by Dinesh D’Souza

I am looking for recommendations in the church history arena.

11. Bob says

Here is a partial list;

Game Day for the Glory of God
    Wordliness – C J Mahaney
    Humility – C J Mahaney (read a part of it every day)
    How People Change – Paul Tripp
    Instrument in The Redeemer’s Hand – Paul Tripp
    This Momentary Marriage – John Piper

Right now, I am reading:
    Disciplines of a Godly Woman (Barbara Hughes)
    The Discipline of Grace (Jerry Bridges)

And on my to-read list:
    The Great Exchange (Jerry Bridges)
    Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis)
    Desiring God (John Piper)
    Respectable Sins (Jerry Bridges)
    Vintage Jesus (Mark Driscoll)
    Humility (CJ Mahaney)
    Death by Love (Mark Driscoll)
    The Excellent Wife (Martha Peace)
    Damsels in Distress (Martha Peace)

And so many more. I am working on reading a book a month :)

13. Chelsea says

I tend to read several books at one time!

1. Blink (Ted Dekker)
    2. Worship Matters (Bob Kauflin)
    3. Running Scared (Ed Welch)
    4 Radical Womanhood (Carolyn McCulley)

and my “to read” list is always never-ending (such a good feeling)!!!

This has been a great break for reading:

1. Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman (Really Good)
    2. Cry of the Soul by Allender and Longman (Just started and really good so far)
    3. The Grand Weaver by Ravi Zecharias (okay)
    4. The Three Musketeers by Dumas (This is my novel for light reading as is pretty awesome)

15. Michael Ochoa says

Reading:
    Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin
    Grace Like a River by Christopher Parkening and Kathy Tyers
    This Momentary Marriage by John Piper
    What is a Healthy Church Member by Thabiti Anyabwile
    The Rangers Apprentice – Book 2 by John Flanagan

To Read:
    When Sinners Say I Do by Dave Harvey
    Death By Love by Mark Driscoll
    Worldliness by CJ Mahaney and Others
    The Rangers Apprentice – Book 3 by John Flanagan

Wow, big questions…

– finish Awaken the Giant Within (Anthony Robbins)
    – reread Handbook for Servants (Gayle Erwin)
    – read War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
    – read Confessions (St. Augustine)

I’m enjoy seeing what everyone else is into and snagging some ideas. Thanks everyone.

On a different note, you’ve been tagged, Stephen.

Check it out…

-Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life – Don Whitney
    -The Holy Spirit: His Gifts and Power – John Owen
    -When I Don’t Desire God – John Piper
    -A Word for the Day – J.D. Watson
    -Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God – J.I. Packer
    -The Sound Mind Investing Handbook – Prior / Burkett

I am currently reading Reason to Believe by RC Sproul. I’ve set a goal of reading a book every two weeks this year. I don’t know if I’ll get it done.

Ten off the top of my list:
    The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
    Revivalís Golden Key by Ray Comfort
    Godís Lesser Glory by Bruce Ware
    Youth Culture 101 by Walter Mueller
    A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
    The Great Exchange by Jerry Bridges & Bob Bevington
    The Peacemaking Pastor by Alfred Porier
    Pierced for Our Transgressions by Steve Jeffery, Michael Ovey and Andrew Sach
    The King James Only Controversy by James White – (already finished, I know out of order, but I had to finish it for a class)
    War of Words by Paul Tripp

I have a complete list posted at my site.