Thanks Mr. Car Repair Man

Most of you are probably not aware of this, but today is ?I Sure Am Grateful For?? day. On this holiday (which is celebrated in rural Pennsylvania and Central Mexico) we honor those who make our lives livable ? those people that regularly spare us from death and/or homelessness. Today I?m honoring Karl.

Karl is my car mechanic. I need a car mechanic because I have the car repair skills of a thumbless orangutan (okay that may be an exaggeration – thumbed orangutan is more accurate). Apparently I was playing video games when they passed out the car skills kit, because I have none (although I can play a wicked XBox). My car maintenance skill set consists of the following: change windshield wiper fluid, put air into tires, squeegee the windshield. That’s it. And that’s why I desperately need Karl.

Here’s what a typical conversation between me and Karl looks like:

ME: Karl, I’ve got a problem with my car that I need you take a look at.

KARL: What’s the problem?

ME: Every time I go around a turn it makes an odd sound.

KARL: What sort of sound?

ME [feeling more insecure by the minute]: It sounds kind of like tingaling, tingaling, tingaling. It also tends to make a strange noise when I go over a bump. Kind of like swishersash, swishersash.

KARL [with a thoughtful, knowing look on his face]: Hmm. You’ve probably got some sort of short in your defibrillator belt, or a leak in your headlight gasket. Could be a blown triple-axle valve. I’ll take a look at it and let you know.

ME: Yeah, that’s probably it.

Several hours later Karl will inform that it was indeed a blown triple-axle valve, and that my registration was expired. Karl is a lifesaver.

So here?s to you Karl. Thanks for making my life livable and for keeping me from death and/or homelessness. Apart from your hard work, my car would most likely be on fire.

Okay, the floor?s open. Who are you grateful for today?

Comments

I sure am grateful for my alarm clock. I’m not one to get up on my own in the early morning, so my alarm clock comes in handy when I try to rise to accomplish anything before the sun comes up.

Thank you for this reminder, Stephen. I don’t believe I’ve ever thanked God for my alarm clock. I could also add this blog to the list now…

Blessings in Christ,

Marshall Jones Jr.

2. Wendy says

I work in the textile industry as an office manager. When I get an order I send it to our production department and it ends up in our sewing room, where a bunch of women work magic. These ladies can sew so fast and so well! I have tried in the past to figure out the sewing machine, but every time I sit down it reaches up and punches me in the face. I don’t know what it has against me. But I am very thankful that we have a room full of ladies to can sew an entire tablecover as easy as breathing. wow! They make my orders a reality.

I am grateful for my wife, who never quit praying for me – realized that the grace of God would be the only thing that would draw me to Himself…and stepped out of the way to let God do His work. In doing so, I saw her “change” which made me inquire as to “what happened”. Little did I know that was just the beginning of God getting hold of me and now keeping me secure in His grace. My wife continues to pray, as only godly wives can, and (I pray) she sees continual growth & leadership in me. God is good!

i’m grateful for my pastor and my amazing friends. they somehow always know how to encourage and help my faith to grow… they point me to a loving God when i’m consumed by fear or despair… they care through random gifts or cups of tea and great conversations when i really need to talk… they aren’t surprised by my sin… they point me to a God who is bigger than it. so, i’d have to say that on the top of my list would be them. they’re stellar.

and a little further down is that my roommate makes a wicked cup of coffee. add a little vanilla rice milk and its a wonderful start to the day!!! :)

I am thankful for books, coffee and many, many great friends that the Lord has placed in my life. I’m also thankful for God’s sustaining grace that He lavishly gives me everyday even though I am a screwed up sinful mess! He knows that even more so than I do yet He loves me intensely. I’m also very thankful for The Blazing Center, I always know that the Lord is going to have a nice gem of grace for me here everyday!
    Blessings
    Ron Reffett

I’m grateful for a good dentist. He doesn’t usually have good news for me, but he’s still a good dentist.

I’m also grateful that even “if my hold should fail, God’s wondrous love will never let me go.”

7. Fred the shade tree Mechanic says

Sounds like the transconfigurator got crossed with the motor toggle causing the sounds you heard. Or…. it could just be a bad case of a bad CV joint because the rubber boot was cracked.
    I am grateful for going up poor (but not knowing it) and having to learn to repair things.

8. Chelsea says

I’m thankful for my sister and brother-in-law as they help me train for the 1/2 marathon. I would surely collapse dead on the ground after every long run if not for their encouraging, coaching words. (And I love them for many other reasons, of course!)

9. Raye Fry says

I am thankful for nurses. With my two last hospital stays, nurses can either make your stay comfortable, or dreadful. I like the ones who are patient and kind, and care.