The Courage To Pray

door knocker

Why should we think that the infinitely transcendent God would bother to hear the prayers of insignificant creatures like us?? What gives a peon like me the courage to ask Almighty God to do great things for me?? God?s promises.

For you, my God, have revealed to your servant that you will build a house for him. Therefore your servant has found courage to pray before you.? And now, O Lord, you are God, and you have promised this good thing to your servant (1 CH 17.25-26).

God’s promises gave David the courage to pray for them.? Knowing a biblical promise gives us boldness to ask that God fulfill that promise.? The more promises we have, the more confidently we?ll pray.

God has promised to counsel me with his eye upon me (PS 32.8), so I boldly ask him to.? Because he?s pledged to give wisdom to those who ask, I ask for wisdom all the time.? Because God has promised to supply all my needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus I ask regularly.

God has promised that his Spirit and word will never depart from believers or their descendants (IS 59.21), that the children of the righteous will be mighty in the land (PS 112.2),? taught of the Lord and have great peace? (IS 54.13).? Since God has promised, I’m going to ask for the max – that every one of my children, grandchildren and descendants from now till Jesus’ return will be saved, mighty in the Spirit, and taught of the Lord.

The Bible says believers will walk in good works (EPH 2.10) and bear much fruit (JN 15.16), so I ask Jesus to make me fruitful for him.? Knowing Jesus’ promise to be near to the brokenhearted and to deliver the righteous out of all their afflictions (PS 34.18-19), gives me courage to pray for suffering friends and family members.

Jesus does not wish any to perish but all to come to the knowledge of the truth (2 PE 3.9), and says that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us (1 JN 5.14).? So I’m going to pray for him to save people, because that’s a prayer that is according to his will.

When Jesus tells me ask, seek and knock because everyone who asks receives, all who seek find, to him who knocks it shall be opened (Mt. 7.7-8),? it fires me up to keep rapping on the door.

Which promises give you the courage to pray?

photo by alsuvi

Comments

This is such a good and encouraging post! Thank you! I have a few prayers that have been on my heart for a while now and just recently began to doubt God even hears them. This post really encourages me to come to HIM with boldness, confidence, and COURAGE regardless of the outcome of the prayer but because He has provided a way and He loves to comfort and hear my prayers. Thank you!

• says

Hi Trillia!

Nice to hear from you – hope you and your family are doing well. I’m grateful the Lord would encourage you through the post – so often, when I pray it doesn’t SEEM like God hears me, or that my prayers are very effective, but I keep clinging to his promises. He does hear your prayers – his ears are ever open to our cry. He who hears the cries of ravens certainly hears the prayers of his children.

• says

Thanks so much Mark! Thern and I (and little Weston) are doing great. I’m 8 months preggo so waiting for the arrival of our little girl, Sydney. We are very encouraged. Thanks for the further instruction about God’s character! That’s very helpful. I’ve actually increased my prayers and believe God has built my faith for them as a result of this post! Isn’t it neat that God could use a blog and a pastor miles away! I so appreciate you Mark!

Blessings in the name of the Lord (that closing is for Stephen-haha),

Trill.

“Seek His Kingdom and His Righteousness, and all thse things will be added to you as well.”

This helps me trust that He will provide for all my needs, if I make my life about delighting in Him, and not in things.

It also can reveal greed in my heart. If having Jesus’ righteousness, and just enough possessions doesn’t satisfy me, then what is my heart truly set on?

• says

Hi js,

What a great all-encompassing promise! God makes it very simple for us – seek 2 things – his Kingdom and his righteousness – and all other things that we need will be added to us. And you are so right – what more do we need than Jesus and his righteousness? Thanks for your comments.

Hi Mark. Excellent post (as usual). Lately I’ve been learning to lean on Romans 8:26-27 when I pray.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

This promise helps me to pray in faith, knowing that the Spirit wants to intercede for me according to the will of God! Usually I find Him bringing some of the very promises you?ve mentioned to my mind while I?m praying. It really increases my faith to bring His objective promises into my subjective circumstances!

This is my favourite verse that gives me much courage to pray
    “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Faith DOES come by hearing, hearing by the word of God. Your words were the Word – they sprung up faith in me to go and knock on heaven’s door! peace and a smile.