Abraham Piper is a Christian, husband, dad, and blogger. He may be some other things too, such as accomplished ninja, but you’ll have to ask him personally. He blogs personally at 22 Words and Downhill Both Ways, and he also blogs for Desiring God Ministries.
Abraham was kind enough to take a few moments to answer some questions about blogging.
All of your blog posts are limited to exactly twenty-two words. Why do you do such short posts and what are you trying to accomplish with the blog?
I write short posts for four reasons.
- I enjoy seeing if I can summarize an idea that briefly.
- I like being freed of the responsibility to explain myself. When people don?t get what I?m saying, I?d have no excuse if my words could?ve been unlimited. But the way things are set up now, when I make no sense I can just shrug my shoulders and point to the premise of the blog as my excuse.
- I?m lazy. I can?t even imagine writing full posts every day. Writing 22 words, on the other hand, is pretty easy.
- People don?t generally read much more than 22 words of any given post anyway.
I want following my blog to feel similar to knowing a person: Sometimes it will be encouraging or funny other times depressing or infuriating.
Obviously, with certain individual posts, I want to make things happen in my audience?s hearts or minds or behavior, but I wouldn?t say I?m trying to accomplish anything in particular with the blog as a whole. It?s just me living life, saying some hopefully helpful things and also saying some definitely stupid things.
You blog personally and for Desiring God. What do you think makes a good blog? What separates the good from the mediocre?
Despite all the varieties of good blogs out there, I think what is true pretty much across the board, is that excellent bloggers care about how to blog. They?ve educated themselves and experimented enough to know what will work for them and their audience.
You can find answers all over if you Google for what makes a good blog. And they?ll all say mostly the same things. And they?re mostly right. Good bloggers obey these rules or disobey them carefully.
In light of the fact that there are eight bazillion blogs now, should someone start a new blog? If so, what is one tip you would give them?
Absolutely. Maybe no one will read it, but if that?s ok with a potential blogger, then go for it.
May I give three tips, instead of just one?
1. Use a theme that has a light background.
2. Use a professional-quality photo in your banner.
3. Keep every paragraph to 5 lines or less.
Want A Free Book?!?
We'd love to give you the book Praying The Promises for free! It will walk you through God's promises and how to pray them. Just sign up below to get your copy IMMEDIATELY! It's like Christmas!