Eleven Essential Character Qualities Of A Good Leader

l-uf5psi98c65opq

l-uf5psi98c65opq

I’ve been thinking about character lately. What character qualities (not gifts) are important for a leader? I’ve listed 11. What qualities would you add? Which are most important?? I know one thing – I don’t want to be a Laggard!

• Humility
  • Courage
  • Faithfulness
  • Thankfulness
  • Joyfulness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-control
  • Generosity
  • Godliness
  • Diligence
  • Patience

18 Comments

• Angie says:

Servant heart & teachable.

• lisa says:

Being an encourager.

• Dave Wilson says:

Hungry.

And I mean spiritually.

However, based on some of the church picnics I've been to…

• Yes, I agree with this one the most. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. I thought I was going to have trouble writing something like "encouragerness." :>)

-Marshall Jones Jr.

• You should link up some of the words to previous posts. I was about to try to do it for you in this comment, but you don't have a search box here. I know you have a couple articles, though, that I can think of that cover some of those characteristics. Nice list, though.

-Marshall Jones Jr.

• MarkAltrogge says:

Amen Angie! I thought about including teachable. I'm glad you did. And every leader should be the greatest servant of all. Thanks for these.

• MarkAltrogge says:

Excellent Lisa! Thanks.

• MarkAltrogge says:

Outstanding Peggy. Both of these are critical. I think faith is especially critical, because, as you know, both leaders and churches face many obstacles, challenges, and trials that require faith.

• MarkAltrogge says:

I think you just coined a new word, Marshall!

• MarkAltrogge says:

Great Dave!

I like this one – I hadn't thought of it, but now I'm thinking Hunger for God, hunger for his glory, hunger to see the kingdom come. I recently read that a leader should have a godly kind of spiritual dissatisfaction or discontentment. Thanks

• MarkAltrogge says:

Thanks Marshall! It's been motivating for me to think through some of these qualities. And I'm grateful for the ones that have been suggested as well.

• JackW says:

I think your list points to servant-hood. Want to be a good christian leader? Be a lead servant. My new word would be servantship.

• MarkAltrogge says:

Thanks, Jack. I like your phrase "lead servant" – Good word – "servantship" – I think you just coined a new word to add to Marshall's "encouragerness"

• Kati says:

I would have to say being willing to listen. A godly leader is willing to listen to others' advice and suggestions (and then apply those changes, if need be…).

Thank you so much for your website! I am encouraged every time I read it. =D

• John Cordero says:

Knowledge
    Loyalty
    Enthusiasm

JAC

• MarkAltrogge says:

Kati,

I agree. Being willing to listen is huge. Especially to others' advice, suggestions, criticisms, observations and concerns. And yes, to apply appropriate changes. Great!

Thanks for your encouragement.

• MarkAltrogge says:

These are some really excellent ones, John. I hadn't thought of some of them. I especially like Enthusiasm. Every Christian leader should be enthusiastic – we're dealing with incredible wonderful spiritual realities like salvation and union with Christ – how can every Christian leader (and every Christian) not be enthusiastic? Thanks!