Does Your Job Really Matter?

2285419814_d694090f02

You are one of 4,000 residents of Cubicleville USA, and you do the same thing every day. You enter your sensory deprivation chamber, turn on the computing device, and fire up your favorite spreadsheet. For eight hours you crank out numbers that are somehow related to something called ?gross market value? and ?the bottom line?. Some days are good. Some are so boring that you feel like jabbing a mechanical pencil into your eye.

Or maybe you?re on a construction crew and spend your days among nails, two-by-fours, and framing hammers. Or you?re a mom and the bulk of your day is spent cleaning slop and soggy Cheerios.

Does any of this really matter to God, or are you just piddling away your days until you get to heaven? Does God actually care about spreadsheets, nails, and Cheerios?

Actually, He does. Very much. Go back to the beginning.

Genesis 1:1 – God creates. Light splits the darkness, order emerges from the chaos, and it is good. We serve a energetic, creative, ordering God.

Genesis 1:26 – God makes man in his image. In the image of a creative, ordering God. Humanity is given a mandate: take dominion over the earth, cultivate it, make it a pleasant place to live. We are to imitate our creative, ordering God.

Herein lies the connection to spreadsheets, framing hammers, and soggy diapers. When we work, create, and order, we are imitating our God. God loves to see His creatures imitating him.

You?re not just crunching numbers, you are fulfilling the creation mandate, which pleases God very much. You?re not merely building a house, you?re actually imitating God. And much greater things are at stake then a spilled bowl of Cheerios. The glory of God is at stake.

Tomorrow is not just another day at the office. It?s an opportunity to glorify God by taking dominion over the earth.

So work hard. Take dominion. Glorify God.

+photo by karindalziel

Connect with me on Facebook or Twitter

Comments

1. Wendy says

Thank you Stephen! That was very helpful and encouraging. I often am tempted to look at my work day as something to get through. I just want to go in, do my thing, and get out as quickly as possible. But, regardless of whether I like my job or not, or whether it pays lots of money or not, I am still called to it right now. And instead of going into each day thinking “let’s get this over with” I need to go into each day thinking “How can I best glorify God at work today? How can I spread the gospel to the people around me?”
    Thanks for the reminder!

i’m currently in a season where i’m looking into some big changes… job, location, etc. as i was driving to work this morning, God was reminding me that until that day, He has called me to be here… and to do the best job that I can… to serve Him well in what He’s called me to do today.

thank you for this post. for the reminder to not simply keep plugging away but to use where I’m at today to serve Him and bring Him glory.

“When we work, create, and order, we are imitating our God. God loves to see His creatures imitating him.”

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am in the midst of one of the busiest weeks of the year (at work). What a beautiful reminder, by working hard I am imitating my heavenly Father. :) It’s also a good reminder that as long as I am trying to obey and glorify Him, He will give me the strength to continue on. This was very helpful this morning. Thanks!

Amen and amen. There’s a joy that’s produced by a hard day’s work nothing else that I know of can imitate. Sure, there are greater joys, but the work-induced joy is unique and valuable all on its own. God has so structured our lives this way.

Wendy – That’s a great perspective. So often we can go into a job feeling like all we need to do is survive the day. It’s so good to remember that we work for the glory of God.

Emily – It’s so challenging at times to remember that God has called us to specific locations, even if we don’t like them. It’s great to ask, “How can I glorify God here?”

YellerDaisies – Keep working hard for the glory of God!

Deek – Can I add a third ‘amen’?

6. Tim says

SA –

Related to nothing about this post, but vital info for you: Borders has Moleskine, 3-fer-2, right now. I keep my eyes open for those who can’t be bothered with the $1 composition pads from Target : )

PS – Love your Watson quotes on Twitter. I think he is my fave Puritan.

PSS – I’ve started to examine AMohler’s reading list, too.

Cheers,
    Tim

7. Melissa Amaya says

I love your blog.

Great post. A much needed reminder for me as I *try* to create order in a house with 3 kids under 4, when my goal is to make it through the day without losing my temper (I almost always fail). God does see and God does care.

8. David says

Jesus, as the second Adam, fulfilled where the first failed. He was the one who took dominion through his death and resurrection. To tell us to take dominion seems like yet another law… Our work does accomplish worth as it glorifies God and serves our neighbor.