Your Marvelous, Crazy, Interesting History

How marvelous, how interesting is the spiritual history of each individual believer!? – Legh Richmond, The Dairyman’s Daughter

Christmas is a crazy season for many of us – visiting family members, making meals, planning special church services, getting stents, tweeting, checking Facebook updates.

Can I make a suggestion? ?If you can, get off by yourself for 30 minutes or an hour and just remember.

Christmas night after all the day?s festivities were over, I took a few minutes to write down a list of things I could remember from this past year. ?Most were obvious blessings. ?Some were trials that God turned to blessings. ?Some were big things, some small. ?Some were joyous, some were hard. ?Here?s a sampling:

Our daughter Beth got married to a wonderful guy
Our 3rd grandchild was born
My son, Stephen, got a book published
My 93 year-old dad almost died – God spared him for the 7th time and he got stent #10.
Our church held its first service in our new church building after renting for 30 years.
My sister almost died of blood infection – God spared her life.
My wife Kristi began working part-time as a hospice nurse
I got to participate in a Sovereign Grace Ministries Songwriters Retreat
I got to go fishing in the Chesapeake with my sons and our friends
A great guy, Bob, began an internship in our church
I got to go on vacation with my family, our best friends and family. ?During vacation there was an earthquake.
My neighbors began coming to our church
Dec 19 – Got a cardiac stent. ?I could have had a heart attack but God spared me.

And this is just part of the list!

As I wrote my list, I was filled with gratitude for all God?s kindness to me. ?Even the trials I listed were an opportunity to review God?s mercies.

I?d encourage you to take a few minutes and reflect on all God?s done in your life this year.? Maybe even write some things down.

Your spiritual history is marvelous and interesting, even if crazy at times.? It’s the history of God working in you.? Take time to remember it and praise God for his steadfast love and unceasing mercies.

Comments

1. Elaine says

I love it that God gives everyone a story – some funny, some tragic, some amazing but all crafted by a heavenly Father Who loves His children.

2. Chuck & Eli Price says

May we follow your excellent example, Mark, and recount (at Christmas; next week; and throughout the New Year) the wondrous and sustaining faithfulness of our God!! PS: grateful to God for you and Kristi, your family, and your stent!

• Mark Altrogge says

Thanks Chuck and Eli – you're always so encouraging and it always brings me joy to see you both when I'm at Covenant Life. I hope you have a wonderful new year enjoying God's unceasing mercies!

3. Judith Howard says

Beautiful tribute to the grace of God! I'm rejoicing you didn't have a heart attack and that God spared your sister and dad. My own dad turns 90 in 2 weeks. God's abundant blessings are everywhere!! Lord, give us eyes to see them all, that we may see you more clearly.

• Mark Altrogge says

Thanks Judith! Great way of putting it – "Lord, give us eyes" – I'm sure that even when we try to recall and list God's blessings, we miss 99% of them. May the Lord bless you and your dad!

Hey Mark, great post. Reminds me of the post I wrote for Thanksgiving about being thankful that God is not done with me yet. It's only been a few weeks since I wrote it, but it is good to reflect again on God's faithfulness to me even in barren, difficult times. I don't think I would have even experienced this kind of faithfulness from Him if it were not for these trials. He will be faithful, even more so, in 2012. Blessings to you and yours Mark. Thanks again for this blog. It has served me well this past year. ~Sara

• MarkAltrogge says

Hi Sara, thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words. Your comments are excellent! I hope you have a great year Sara and see God's faithfulness every day!