The Best Thing You Can Do For Your Pastor

by VinothChandar

What is the best thing that you can do for you pastor? Compliment him on his “outstanding, almost Charles Spurgeon-like sermon”? Give money to the church? Give your time and skills to the church? Not heckle him? Admire him for his manly beard? While those are all wonderful things, they are not the best thing that you can do for you pastor.

The absolute, most important, best thing that you can do for your pastor is to pray for him.

I was freshly reminded of that fact this morning when I read 2 Corinthians 1:11 –

You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.

This is Paul talking. The apostle. The dude who wrote a significant portion of the New Testament. The guy who got blindsided by Jesus on Damascus Road. The guy who had the whole “taken up to the third heaven and seeing things too glorious for words” experience. This isn’t a little ol’ Average Pastor With Minimal Gifting. We are talking about THE Apostle Paul who studied under THE Gamaliel. If anyone could feel sure of his ministry success it was Paul. I would expect Paul to say, “I am confident of my success in the Lord, but your prayers would also be helpful.”

But that’s not what Paul says. He says, “You also MUST help us by prayer.” There’s a hint of desperation in his voice. He is pleading for the prayers of the Corinthians. Why? Why does Paul feel such a deep need for the prayers of others?

Because he knows that the depth of his fruitfulness hinges on the prayers of others. He knows that he will not be successful unless he is propelled forward by the prayers of the saints.

That’s why he says that many will give thanks for the blessing granted through the prayers of many. In other words, Paul is expecting people to be grateful to God for his ministry and for the blessings that they have received through his ministry. But how did those blessings come about in the first place? Through the prayers of Paul’s friends! Paul’s ministry was fruitful because others were praying for him.

Your pastor desperately needs your prayers. I desperately need the prayers of the people in my church. The best thing that a person can do for me is pray on my behalf. The more people pray for me, the more fruitful my ministry will be.

So how can you pray for your pastor? Here are a few practical ways:

• Pray that they will have spiritual and emotional endurance. Being a pastor is a wonderful job, but it can also be a very draining job. I need endurance to continue working with joy.
  • Pray that they will have rich fellowship with the Lord. The pastor’s power comes from the Lord. I need God to meet me and refresh week after week.
  • Pray that your pastor will be protected from temptation. If Satan can take down a shepherd, the sheep are much more vulnerable. I need the Lord to protect me from the temptations of pride, greed, lust, impatience, and a host of other sins.
  • Pray that your pastor will preach with power. Apart from the power of the Holy Spirit, a sermon will be nothing more than an eloquent boatload of crap. I need the Holy Spirit to put power behind my words.

There are many more ways to pray for your pastor, but this should get you started.

So please, I’m begging you, pray. Your pastor depends on it.

If you found this post helpful, would you mind sharing it on Facebook or Twitter? Thanks!

Comments

1. Elaine says

Great post, Stephen! Thank you!

Love all the practical ways to pray – very helpful. We also pray for our pastors' marriages, that each couple would be a blessing to each other, and we pray the Lord would call each of our pastors' children to salvation.

2. C.J. McMurry says

Great reminder Stephen! And I am sure our Pastor would say “Amen”, to this. May this challenge us to be faithful prayers for our Pastors as they pour their lives out for us. Thanks again.

Thank you for the exhortation. The suggestions on how to pray for my pastor were especially helpful. I find that I pray often for his preaching, but not so much for his personal life.

4. Anita Neuman says

Thanks for the reminder. It's so, SO important! We are on a launch team for a new church plant and I hereby commit to praying regularly and fervently for our new pastor and his family.

5. asmac says

How about also realizing that there are women pastors out there! They also need your support, encouragement, prayers :)

• OldTime Religion says

1 Timothy 2:11–12 (NKJV)
      11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

Was wondering…

Can't seem to find anyone praying for *their pastor* in the Bible.

Can anyone tell me, from the Bible, where I can find…

A "Disciple of Christ" called "Pastor/Reverend/Leader?" Leading a congregation? Leading a church?
    A "Disciple of Christ" with the "Title" and "Position" of "Pastor/Reverend/Leader?"
    A "Disciple of Christ" hired, or fired, as a "Pastor/Reverend/Leader?"

What is popular is not always "Truth."
    What is "Truth" is not always popular.

7. rebecca y-kuroshi says

True word Sir! My pastor is my Spiritual head, my GOD-authority figure on earth. That means my well being is dependent on his whole well being- spiritual, physical, mental, psychological, physiological.. name it! So i wouldn't be doing myself any spiritual good, if i do not uphold my pastor DAILY in prayers. His spiritual growth, depth of revelation & insight, his walk, level & manifestation of faith, the level of anointing & grace upon his life, his family's stability & well-being… all these are determinants to the quality of spiritual nourishment i get from him. Amidst all entrusted to him, he is an earthen vessel, so we his flock need ALWAYS to guard jealously the "treasures" in him, ON OUR KNEES foremost.
    "" Father God, i repent of not praying for my pastor as often as i should.
    Lord, I recieve grace and wisdom to pray for my pastor as i ought, for the purpose of Your kingdom;
    for we are all co-laborers in Your Vineyard.
    One plants, the other waters, BUT You alone O God, brings increase.
    Father, as Aaron & Hur held up Moses' hands to victory,
    may I also, the brethren in my church, & indeed the entire flock of Christ on earth,
    uphold always in prayers, the "Shepherds" You have so entrusted Us in their care.
    For Yours is the kingdom; Power, Glory, and Honour be Yours alone- AMEN""

1. […] What is the best thing that you can do for you pastor? Compliment him on his ?outstanding, almost Charles Spurgeon-like sermon?? Give money to the church? Give your time and skills to the church? Not heckle him? Admire him for his manly beard? While those are all wonderful things, they are not the best thing that you can do for you pastor. Here is the best thing you can do for your pastor […]