Who are you
Who who who who
Who are you
Who who who who ? “Who Are You” by The Who
Who are you? Are you fundamentally a sinner? Are you a good person? Someone in need of more self-esteem?
Are you victim? ?Are you a hopeless slave to your passions? ?A product of your environment? ?Do you need to remind yourself daily, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!”
Most of us have no problem identifying ourselves as sinners. But that’s not the sum total of our identity. In fact the most important part of our identity is who we are in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:17 says: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
Is this how you see yourself? Do you see yourself as a new creation in Christ? Or do you continue to see yourself primarily as a sinner? Maybe you would say I’m a sinner saved by grace, but the emphasis would still be on sinner.
In How People Change, Timothy S. Lane and Paul David Tripp tell us that as important as it is that we recognize ourselves as sinners,
“Many believers also fail to see the other side of their gospel identity: their identity in Christ. Christ not only gives me forgiveness and a new future, but a whole new identity as well! I am now a child of God, with all of the rights and privileges that this title bestows.”
Who are we in Christ? It’s jaw-dropping amazing when we look at all the New Testament says about believers in Jesus. ?In addition to being new creations, we are:
- Heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17)
- Called according to God’s purpose (Romans 8:28)
- Predestined to be conformed to Christ (Romans 8:29)
- Justified ones (Romans 8:30)
- Those whom God is for (Romans 8:31)
- God’s elect (Romans 8:33)
- Unable to be separated from the love of Christ (Romans 8:35)
- More than conquerors through him who loved us (Romans 8:37)
- Part of Christ’s bride (Ephesians 5:25)
- In the Spirit (Romans 8:9)
- Loved by God (Romans 1:7)
- Saints (Romans 1:7)
- Under grace (Romans 6:17)
- Set free from sin (Romans 6:18)
- Slaves of righteousness (Romans 6:18)
- Slaves of God (Romans 6:22)
- Sons of the living God (Romans 9:26)
- Temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19)
- Future judges of the world and angels (1 Corinthians 6:2-3)
- The body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27)
- Children of promise (Galatians 4:28)
- Members of the household of God (Ephesians 2:19)
- Light in the Lord (Ephesians 5:8)
- Lights in the world (Philippians 2:15)
- Part of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, that we may proclaim his excellencies (1 Peter 2:9)
- One of God’s people who has received mercy (1 Peter 2:10)
- Free (1 Peter 2:16)
- Forgiven (1 John 2:12)
This is who we are in Christ! ?Here’s my suggestion – print these out and stick them on your fridge or in your Bible and regularly thank Jesus for these glorious truths.