I Can’t Wait Until I’m Not In Heaven

I’ve gotta confess, I feel a little uncomfortable saying this. Am I allowed to say this in a public forum? Is this going to be bleeped out, or am I going to be fined by the FTC, or something? Maybe I should post this anonymously…Oh what the heck, here I go…

A lot of times heaven sounds really boring to me.†

There, I said it. Phew. Glad that’s off my chest. No more secrets. No more hiding. I’m not that excited about heaven. When I think about heaven it all seems so…abstract. I know that we’ll be in God’s presence for eternity, I know that we’ll worship Jesus for eternity, I know that there will be hordes of angels, and I know that there will be no more pain, sorrow or tears. And don’t get me wrong, all that stuff sounds great. But when I picture it in my head, it just sounds like one really long Sunday morning worship service. I’m a worship leader, and even I can only sing Chris Tomlin for so long before I need to do something else. I’m a preacher, and even I could only listen to myself preach for so long before I had to do something else.

I don’t think I’m alone in thinking that heaven sounds boring. I think lots of Christians feel that way. And, as Randy Alcorn has said, not being excited about heaven is one of the main ways Satan keeps us comfortable here. So how do we become more excited?

I think we need to remember that heaven is not our final destination.†

So often we talk about heaven as if it is the final resting place for a Christian. When someone dies, we talk about them finally “going home”, and “being in a better place”. And they really are in a much, much better place. As Paul said, he longed to die and be with Christ, which was better by far.

But the reality is, heaven is simply the waiting room for the rest of eternity. When a person dies, they leave their body and go to be with Christ. But that’s not the end. Our final, glorious, exciting hope is not an abstract, bodiless existence. Our great end is not to float about the universe as bodiless souls. The end comes when Jesus returns, makes a new, physical heavens and earth, and gives us new, physical resurrection bodies.

I can’t relate to simply being a soul. I have no concept of that form of existence. But I can imagine having a new, resurrection body, and the prospect of that excites me! Our resurrection bodies will feast at the table of the Lamb! We will eat glorious meals! What sorts of flavors will our new bodies be able to sense and savor? Our new bodies will sing to the king. How many different shades and shimmers of harmony will we be capable of producing? What sorts of things will we do with our friends in heaven? Will we explore? Will we swim in heavenly lakes? Will we have heavenly competitions?

I don’t know all that we’ll do in the new heavens and the new earth, but I can imagine. I can think of all the God-given joys I experience in this life, and then amplify them by a million. I can think of the many gifts of God I experience in this life, then blow those up. It’s going to be wonderful. Astonishing. Breath taking.

Will heaven be good? Yes, it will be great. But I can’t wait until I’m not in heaven. Heaven is just the waiting room. I can’t wait until I’m in the new heavens and new earth, with my new resurrection body. That’s what I’m truly looking forward to.

Comments

Wow, I needed that reminder today. So often when I think of heaven, I think of Tom and Jerry sitting on clouds and playing harps. To me an eternity of that would seem more like hell. I'm so thrilled to know that in eternity God has great stuff for us to do, and the trials of today our preparing us for those things. Thanks for this reminder.

2. markthog says

Well, the intermediate state will be 10,000 times the bliss we experience in this life, and our final state will be a million times better. I "can't wait" for either!

Oh my gosh!! I am so excited for Heaven!! Very few things get me as stoked as just thinking about Heaven. Maybe it's the extrovert in me but the thought of being there with all those people and hearing all their stories of how God saved them and used them for His glory is just simply overwhelming! I can't wait to meet Paul and Spurgeon and Mary Magdalene and Adoniram Judson and the first convert who was saved as a result of John Paton's ministry and the mother who labored in obscurity, seemingly doing nothing amazing with her life except loving Jesus and serving her family, and yet brought so much glory to Jesus through her time on earth. And I haven't even mentioned the whole "seeing Jesus face to face" bit. Or the whole new heavens and new earth bit!!

And the feast!! Oh golly!! The feast is going to be amazing!! As one whose diet is limited related to allergies, I can't wait for the feast!! And the thirty-two part harmonies when we sing to the Savior!!

Yeah. Just typing this out has completely reoriented my focus. And I'm smiling just thinking about this stuff!!

4. Cindy says

When I used to think about heaven, my one thought was 'What will I doooooooo?' I hate being bored, and get into alot of trouble that way! But a year or 2 ago, I read 'Heaven Is For Real', and it gave me a whole new perspective. Funny enough, it really validated the feeling I've lived with my whole life of not being home or belonging in a place. And now? I. just. can't. wait.

5. Gary says

I was scared to and a bit ashamed to admit this to God and speak to Him about it, and face these feelings about heaven i’ve been having lately(we’re the same), but you gave me the Courage to speak to Him about it tonight, and delve into it with Him, like I wouldn’t other times when the thought would occasionally cross my mind (because not initially, but a year or so after I was saved up until lately, ive been feeling this way about Heaven and it usually hurts), but I tried to make myself like the idea because I was afraid of what Jesus would feel about me feeling that way or hurting Him, or think me unappreciative(Fear) and scolding me for it. Thank you for making me love Jesus more. and the Father.

Transparency, I Thanked God for your Honesty. Too bad I couldn’t have been a blessing to be honest with myself, to someone else. Let us all remember to be Honest with ourselves and God. We don’t know WHO we could pick up, break the chains of shame off of (from the Devil) or what, when we do. Honesty never hurt anyone, and if it did, it was always for our Good. God doesnt see us as man does. I know for a fact, if it were up to man, I would never have been saved, and brought into the Family of the ever living, ever merciful, Tender-hearted amazingly loving God, that He is. Praise God.

6. Scott says

Life after death?

There is no doubt in my mind that you have the most sincere desire to express and share the many wonders of the gospel of Christ however, there remains an issue with what you state about heaven being a waiting room for the rest of eternity.

If you could elaborate on a few of your quotes in regards of death and what happens afterwards,

Quote:

This is a very profound statement in regards to death. Paul explains in I Corinthians Chapter 15 in regards to death as we read:

(1Co 15:22) For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ SHALL ALL BE [FUTURE] made alive.

Are you suggesting that we are not really dead after we die or are we somewhere else waiting for all eternity? According to the scriptures resurrection and judgment must occur and there doesn't appear to be any substantial scripture to support this notion of the dead waiting somewhere other than the grave and if so by all means please submit scripture that would steer me in the right direction?

Death is spoken about many times throughout the scriptures as we read:

(Joh 6:49) Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.

(Joh 11:14) Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

There is no mention that Lazarus or the people of the wilderness that are waiting anywhere, they are just dead.

Moses is also deemed by God to be dead:

Deu 31:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers;

Deu 34:5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.

(Joshua 1:1-2). “Now after the DEATH of Moses the servant of the Lord, it came to pass, that the Lord spoke unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister, saying, MOSES MY SERVANT IS DEAD.

• scott says

The entire 15th chapter of I Corinthians deals with the resurrection of the dead and lack any indication where “heaven is a waiting area in Christ” of some sort?

Paul tells us that if there is no resurrection of the dead, then our faith is vain and we don’t have a Saviour. I cannot detect in scripture where the dead in Christ resides in a waiting area, or with Christ for the rest of eternity and according to the scriptures death doesn’t appear to be a waiting room at all that I have seen thus far.

I know that Paul goes onto explains that David is also dead and of David’s current location:

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

And in:

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both DEAD AND BURIED, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Keep in mind that this was stated after Christ returned to his former glories and then Paul goes on to state:

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell [Hades/Grave], neither his flesh did see corruption.

Jesus Christ was also dead in the grave after he was crucified:

"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures" (I Cor. 15:3)

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Was Christ not actually dead and was located somewhere else waiting for three days to pas so he could rise from the undead as suggested with this comment?

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Rom 6:9-10 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he DIED, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Rom 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again….

Act 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died…..

It appears that this verse states and implies that resurrection of Christ who was dead and really, really did die and then Christ was resurrected, right? When people die they are dead according to Ecclesiastes we also observe a description of death:

(Ecclesiastes 9:5) "For the living know that they shall die but the DEAD KNOW NOT ANYTHING…"

Can the dead in Christ be waiting in heaven as suggested? Can we patiently wait in some waiting area and if so, what would one who is saved be waiting for?

Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no WORK, nor DEVICE, nor KNOWLEDGE, nor WISDOM, in the grave, whither thou goest.

If these scriptures are true then how could one experience the sensation of waiting for eternity?

• scott says

With all due respect this statements such as “When a person dies, they leave their body and go to be with Christ” really does render all of I Corinthians chapter 15 worthless:

1Co 15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen….

One cannot be dead, and at the same time be at a different location in full awareness waiting according to Paul. There are no scriptures to support this type of activity and if so then please point them out for more concise clarity?

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all [that’s everyone] die, even so in Christ shall all [that’s everyone] be made [future] alive.

When?

I Co 15:23 ……………afterward they that are Christ's AT HIS COMING

I cannot find in the scriptures where even the chosen/elect are awaiting for eternity in heaven. They are dead, awaiting resurrection, and have no knowledge whatsoever until Christ returns for them.

Luk 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the JUST…….

Why would the “just” be waiting in heaven only to be resurrected again?

Even the righteous will die and be dead:

Isa 57:1 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart……..

Also:

Act 24:15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Even Christ mentioned that this resurrection of the dead has yet to come to pass:

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall [future] he live….

Even in the very beginning of all things God informs Adam and Eve that they would die and where they would return to when they died:

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, TILL THOU RETURN TO THE GROUND; FOR OUT OF IT WAST THOU TAKEN: for dust thou art, and UNTO DUST SHALT THOU RETURN.

QUOTE:

Not according to what Paul says in the scriptures:

1Co 15:24-25 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. v.25 For he [Christ] must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

Paul goes on to explain what kind of form mankind will take on?

(I Cor. 15:42-46) "So also is the resurrection of the DEAD [notice please, that nowhere in Scripture does it speak of a doctrine of the resurrection of the LIVING, or of the resurrection of the BODY or the resurrection of the SPIRIT], it is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; IT IS RAISED A SPIRITUAL body… the first Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [that would be Jesus] was made a quickening [living] SPIRIT"

It doesn’t appear to be a quickening living PHYSICAL body.

When we die scriptures indicated that all are most certainly dead, and have no knowledge of anything. All mankind will suffer from this same condition and there is no awareness after death, to say otherwise would suggest a form of an after life or immortality theory that the scriptures share no knowledge of.

And Paul reminds us that:

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It is suggested in scriptures that everyone suffers from this condition:

Rom 3:23 For all [that’s everyone] have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

And:

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and SO DEATH PASSED UPON ALL MEN, for that ALL HAVE SINNED…..

The rendering of this verse in Concordant Literal N.T. assist in clarification:

Rom 5:12 Therefore, even as through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin DEATH, and thus DEATH PASSED THROUGH INTO ALL MANKIND, on which ALL sinned -"

In Ezekiel we read:

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, IT SHALL DIE.

And since all souls belong to God, His judgment will be placed upon on all of man including the elect after the resurrection:

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men ONCE TO DIE, but after this the judgment:

A second witness:

2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one [no one is excluded] may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad…

• scott says

Yet, some will refer to the KJV translation of:

(John 11:26.) "And whosoever lives and believes in Me shall NEVER DIE. Believe you this?"

This appears to be a contradiction of scripture however this translation does not harmonize with the Greek interlinear. “Never is translated from the Greek word “oudeic” means "not ever, none, nought" as in when Peter said to Jesus, "I will NEVER [#3762–oudeic] be offended" (Matt. 26:33.) This word is translated "never" dozens of times in Scripture. However, in John 11:26 where we read "shall NEVER die," the word "never" is the singular word translation of three Greek words, not one of them being #3762, oudeic."

"Does it matter," one might say? So maybe it would benefit us to see just what Greek words God used in this verse. This is definitely a translation error. This verse as recorded in the King James flat out contradicts God’s statement back in the Garden of Eden Gen 2:17, that’s why it worth a second look.

The word "never" in John 11:26 is translated from:

#3364 = oume, "a double negative; not at all, neither, never, nor ever."

#1519 = ice, "to, into, throughout, for."

#165 = aion, "age."

Notice how more responsible translators have rendered this verse:

"…should by NO means BE DYING for the EON." (Concorant Literal New Testament.) There is no phrase, "shall NEVER die."

"…NOT ever shall DIE to THE AGE." (Jay P. Green: Interlinear Greek-English New Testament—from the Interlinear, not the translation.) There is no phrase, "shall NEVER die."

"…NO one living and believing in Me, shall DIE to the AGE." (Emphatic Diaglott.) There is no phrase, "shall NEVER die."

"…shall in ANYWISE DIE unto times AGE-abiding." (Rotherham’s Emphasized Bible.) There is no phrase, "shall NEVER die."

For sure, "All have sinned… the wages of sin is death… in Adam all die."

It should be clear to all, that there is no word "never" in this Greek verse. When we die, we are dead. The chosen/elect will be the first to be awakened, and they are simply dead at this time. Not with Christ waiting for something?
          However, those who are "in Christ… should by no means be dying for the eon." And the reason is simple and Scriptural:

"…that He should give eonian life to as many as You have given Him" (John 17:2)

And that:

"all which He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should RAISE IT UP AGAIN AT THE LAST DAY" (John 6:39).

The last day has not yet occurred and the raising of the dead is yet futuristic. Scriptures indicate that we shall all die, but not all through the eon for the elect. We will be raised, judged, and reign with Christ through the coming millennial eon (and beyond—"Know you not that we shall judge the world"? (I Cor. 6:2.)

And in Hosea we are informed:

Concordant Literal O.T.:

Hos 13:14 From the hand of the unseen will I ransom them; from death will I redeem them. Where is your plague, O Death? Where is your sting, O Unseen? Regret shall be concealed from My eyes."

Although everyone has a perception of death, and many actually experience the process OF dying, absolutely no one will ever experience anything in the state of death. There is no experience or perception in death and from what the scripture indicated….NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM BEING DEAD
          John was inspired to describe the state of the resurrection of the dead:
          "And this is the Father’s will which has sent Me, that of all which He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again [At the resurrection from the DEAD] at the last day" (John 6:39.)
          "And this is the will of Him that sent Me, that every one which sees the Son, and believes on Him, may have everlasting [‘eonian’] life [When? Now? At their death? NO…] and I will [Yet future] raise him up [At the resurrection from the DEAD] at the last day" (John 6:40.) The last day has yet to come.
          No man can come to Me, except the Father which has sent Me, draw him: and I will raise him up [At the resurrection of the DEAD] at the last day" (John 6:44.)
          Whoso eats My flesh, and drinks My blood, has eternal [Gk: ‘eonian’] life; and I will [yet future] raise him up [At the resurrection of the DEAD] at the last day" (John 6:54.)
          So by all means if you happen to have any additional information where dead believers are waiting somewhere with Christ, when they die, then please share this information. I am more than willing to accept scripture that harmonizes with this statement that has been made.

Scott

7. Ronda Allen Red says

It sound to me you rather spend your time in hell. Your relationship with God is not mutual enough to appreciate what he have for you as his child. It’s the Holy Spirit that keep us in line with The Lord. He’s our father so what he say is truth. Being passive about heaven is a dangerous attitude to have and to lead others to think about this silly notion of heaven being a waiting room wow. I know it’s just an opinion but if that’s what you think about heaven try going to hell and see what the devil’s waiting room looks like and get back to me.

8. Jamie Joss says

I am happy to hear that I’m not the only whose thought like this! The other part of eternitry that I can’t grasp is that it won’t end. Unfortunately it can terrify me. I know it is something that the enemy uses to get at me, but I can’t shake these feelings.

1. […] I Canít Wait Until Iím Not In Heaven -†But the reality is, heaven is simply the waiting room for the rest of eternity. When a person dies, they leave their body and go to be with Christ. But thatís not the end. Our final, glorious, exciting hope is not an abstract, bodiless existence. Our great end is not to float about the universe as bodiless souls. The end comes when Jesus returns, makes a new, physical heavens and earth, and gives us new, physical resurrection bodies. -†Stephen Altrogge […]