Let’s Not Shock Any Angels

One day before I met my wife, I was asking God to bring someone into my life, and he spoke to me.

Not audibly, but clearly.  This thought came into my mind: Mark, if you can’t be satisfied in me as a single person, then you won’t be content when you’re married either.  Because no human being can satisfy another human being.

No human being can satisfy another human being.

Only God can satisfy us.  If we don’t find all our delight and joy in Jesus, we won’t find it in anything else.  God puts it like this in Jeremiah 2:12-13:

Be appalled, O heavens, at this; be shocked, be utterly desolate, declares the LORD,  for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.

The angels in heaven, who continually behold God’s glory are shocked, stunned – even “desolate” – when they see God’s people forsake him, the fountain of living waters, the source of all joy and satisfaction, and drink from broken down, barren, dust-filled wells.  The angels are dumbfounded.

So what is it you most long for today?  What is it that you think would make you jump for joy?  What is that thing you tell yourself, if I only had that, then I’d be happy and wouldn’t want anything else?  If it isn’t Jesus, your heart is deceiving you.  Because that ”thing,” even if it’s a blessing from the hand of God, can’t satisfy your heart.  Things will eventually disappoint us.  God may bless us with the most wonderful husband or wife, and if we aren’t content in him, we’ll soon find ourselves looking around for something else to fill the void.

Let’s look to Jesus to quench the thirst of our souls.  Let’s come to the fountain of living waters and drink deeply and say to The Lord,

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.  Psalm 16:5-6

When The Lord is our chosen portion and our cup, the lines fall for us in pleasant places.  We can be content in the desert.  When Jesus is our meat and drink, we’ll always be full.  Jesus is our beautiful inheritance.  What more do we need?

Remember, no human can satisfy another human.  A wife won’t satisfy.  A husband won’t satisfy.  A child won’t either.  Neither will a job, a home, or anything else.  If God has given you any of these wonderful blessings, then thank him for them  And it’s not wrong to ask him for these desires if he hasn’t given them to you.  But don’t look to them to fulfill you.

Let’s make this our prayer:

Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. (Ps 90:14).

Lets not shock any angels, ok?

Comments

1. jenny cooley says

This is the most eye opening and revealing message of how God wants us to put Him first and then He SHALL add all these things to us. He is a most Sovereign God and He makes promises that He KEEPS! Just when i kept trying to fill my void of His love with a love from a man, I found myself more lonely and depressed. Well, He saved me from myself and His filled me with His love. Now I understand why a marriage is more likely to fail when He is not first in both hearts. Man will always fail. BUT GOD'S LOVE NEVER FAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"No human being can satisfy another human being." To an extent – but doesn't Genesis 2 also speak about God making "a helper fit for him", which to an extent speaks to a degree of companionship satisfaction? Maybe the word is "completely" satisfy…?

• Mark Altrogge says

Good question Neo! God gives us many pleasures which we enjoy and delight in. All of these earthly joys and pleasures are but a faint echo of his glory and delightfulness. But they are all really meant to point us to him as our ultimate satisfaction. When sin entered the world it gave us all a tendency to look to anything but God for satisfaction. So we can enjoy earthly things but we must be careful not to look to them to fulfill us in an ultimate sense.

• shecobb says

Absolutely!! & with that being said, God places within us all, a desire for Him…(which can ONLY BE FILLED BY HIM) & a lot of people mistake that & try to fill that void with other worldly things, such as possessions, drugs/alcohol, money, a mate, etc…We must FIRST find our peace, joy, contentment, security, truth, love, & hope in a relationship with God, & He will direct our path, He will "add all things unto us," whatever it may be…Seeking to find "satisfaction" in treasures of this world will always end in failure. "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt. 6:19-21. Another way of putting this could be, Place your trust in Jesus, keep your eyes and heart fixed on Him, and He will keep you in His PERFECT PEACE.

3. shecobb says

That's right J. Cooley…He is not a man that He should lie!! CLING to HIS PROMISES…His love NEVER FAILS, NEVER GIVES UP, NEVER RUNS OUT ON US!!!! :)

In a practical, day-to-day sense, what does it mean to be fully satisfied by Jesus? Does it mean that I trust Him every day, with every decision and relationship? (And if it does, what if my trust falters?)

• shecobb says

"This life is an experience in profound trust—trust in Jesus Christ, trust in His teachings, trust in our capacity as led by the Holy Spirit to obey those teachings for happiness now and for a purposeful, supremely happy eternal existence. To trust means to obey willingly without knowing the end from the beginning (see Prov. 3:5–7). To produce fruit, your trust in the Lord must be more powerful and enduring than your confidence in your own personal feelings and experience.

• shecobb says

To exercise faith is to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing with you and that He can accomplish it for your eternal good even though you cannot understand how He can possibly do it. We are like infants in our understanding of eternal matters and their impact on us here in mortality. Yet at times we act as if we knew it all. When you pass through trials for His purposes, as you trust Him, exercise faith in Him, He will help you. That support will generally come step by step, a portion at a time. While you are passing through each phase, the pain and difficulty that comes from being enlarged will continue. If all matters were immediately resolved at your first petition, you could not grow. Your Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son love you perfectly. They would not require you to experience a moment more of difficulty than is absolutely needed for your personal benefit or for that of those you love."

• shecobb says

I pulled that off an article I read on the internet…but when you do find your trust faltering, that's when you pray, renew your mind, and ask God to help you trust Him. The more we seek Him, the more we find Him, & begin to trust easier…NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN OUR SITUATION. Also, another thing is to be connected with a body of believers; get involved with a church & small groups, that way you have a place & people of accountability. God will place relevant people in your path that will be a blessing in your life, who will be strong when you are weak. Something that has helped me within the last year or so, is picking up a daily devotional to start my day fresh (God wants our first fruits-our time) and begin to change our thinking patterns at the start of our day, which will determine the outcome of our day & help us along the way with the battles we encounter. The one I read is "Jesus Calling." Today's passage would be helpful for you…it reads as follows:

• shecobb says

January 10…"EVERY TIME YOU AFFIRM YOUR TRUST IN ME, you put a coin into My treasury. Thus you build up equity in preparation for days of trouble. I keep safely in My heart all trust invested in Me, with interest compounded continuously. The more you trust Me, the more I empower you to do so. Practice trusting Me during quiet days, when nothing much seems to be happening. Then when storms come, your trust balance will be sufficient to see you through. Store up for yourself treasure in heaven, through placing your trust in Me. This practice will keep you in My Peace." Psalm 56:3-4 Matthew 6:20-21

I hope this helps….have a **BLESSED** day! :)