The Bible is gloriously full of prayers for children (though they may not explicitly be labeled as such).
Here are prayers for your children in your family (based on passages of scripture):
- Prayers For Children For Salvation
- Prayers For Children For Blessing
- Prayers For Children For Obedience
- Prayers For Children For Peace
God has made it abundantly clear in Scripture that he wants to bless our children and descendants. He’s given us many promises to give us faith to hope and pray for their salvation and well-being. With that in mind, you pray these prayers for your children with faith that God answers prayer and that prayer is powerful.
1. Prayers For Children About Salvation
1. “And they said, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.'” Acts 16:31
Lord Jesus, I have believed in you and you have saved me. I believe it is your will to save my children. Please save each and every one of my children for your glory. Thank you that you hear all my prayers for children in my family.
2. “All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.” Isaiah 54:13
O Lord, you have promised that all my children shall be taught by you. Please do this. Please reveal yourself to all my children, and save them. Please fill my children with your great peace.
3. “And as for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord: “My Spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your offspring, or out of the mouth of your children’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from this time forth and forevermore.” Isaiah 59:21
Heavenly Father, you have promised that your Spirit and your word would never depart from me or my children or their children. I pray for each one of my children and grandchildren and descendants that you would save them and fill each one with your Spirit. And please cause each one to love and delight in your word.
4. “The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.” Psalm 102:28
O Lord, please establish my children and descendants before you. Cause each one to follow you wholeheartedly as disciples all the days of their lives. I pray for my children that they would dwell securely in you all their days.
5. “For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams. This one will say, “I am the LORD’s,” another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, The LORD’s, and name himself by the name of Israel.” Isaiah 44:3-5
Lord, you have poured out your spirit on me as part of your astonishing New Covenant blessings. You have filled me with the Holy Spirit and made me alive to the sweet things of you. Please do that in my children. I pray for my children that you would pour out your Spirit on them, causing them to be born again and to live with zeal for you.
6. “…I will make an everlasting covenant with them. Their offspring shall be known among the nations, and their descendants in the midst of the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them, that they are an offspring the LORD has blessed.” Isaiah 61:8-9
Father, in Christ I am part of your everlasting covenant to love and do good to your people. You have promised to bless me abundantly in Christ. Please also bless my children and bring them into your covenant people. Let it be known that my children follow and delight in Christ.
2. Prayers For Children About Blessing
7. “Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.” Psalm 112:1-2
Lord Jesus, you have moved me to fear you and I want to fear you. Help me delight in your commandments more and more. Please cause each of my children and descendants to be mighty in the land. Please use each one to influence thousands for you.
8. “The righteous who walks in his integrity— blessed are his children after him!” Proverbs 20:7
Lord, thank you that you have helped me to walk in integrity. You promised that if I did this you would bless my children. So I ask you to please bless my children. Thank you, Lord Jesus, that you delight to answer these prayers for children I’ve been given.
9. “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.” Psalm 37:25
O Lord, thank you that in all my years you have never forsaken me. Thank you for all the ways you have provided for me over the years. I offer this prayer for my children: continue to be faithful to them and provide for them. Thank you, Lord.
10. “I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them.” Jeremiah 32:39
Father, you have given me a new heart. You have promised that if I fear you it will be for my good and my children’s good. So I pray that you would please do good to my children and all my descendants. Please cause them to fear you for their good and their children after them.
3. Prayers For Children About Obedience
11. “I the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge.” Proverbs 14:26
Lord God, please help me to fear you. Please deliver me from temptation and sin. And please deliver my children from temptation and sin, evil and harm. Thank you that you are our mighty refuge.
12. Therefore you shall keep his statutes and his commandments, which I command you today, that it may go well with you and with your children after you, and that you may prolong your days in the land that the Lord your God is giving you for all time.” Deuteronomy 4:40
Oh Lord, you have given me a heart to keep your commandments and you’ve helped me by the power of your Spirit. Please let it go well with my children and descendants. Please give them hearts to obey your word and walk in the manner worthy of the gospel all their lives.
13. “They shall not labor in vain or bear children for calamity, for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the LORD, and their descendants with them.” Isaiah 65:23
Lord, you have said that your people will not bear children for calamity, but that they shall be blessed of the Lord. The greatest blessing you could give my children is the knowledge of you and your ways. My prayer for my children is that they would have that sweet knowledge. Shine your light into their hearts.
14. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Father, I certainly have made many mistakes in my efforts to train my children in your ways. Nevertheless, I trust in YOUR faithfulness toward my children. I trust you to save them, draw them, protect them, cause them to follow you, and obey you. In this confidence, I pray for my children that you would keep them until they grow old.
15. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
Father, you have begun a good work in me, causing me to trust in Christ and faithfully leading me in your ways. I trust that you’ve begun a good work in my children as well by placing them under my care. Please complete this good work by making them fruitful for you.
4. Prayers For Children About Peace
16. “…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
Lord, so often I am tempted to be anxious for my children. To worry about their safety, health, and spiritual condition. Yet you have promised that you will give me the peace that passes understanding. So as I offer these prayers for children in my family, I thank you that you will give me peace. I thank you that you understand my anxiety and are eager to meet me in the midst of it.
I thank you for the encouraging words of men like Charles Spurgeon: