When I need inspiration to pray, which is often, I regularly turn to quotes about prayer.
There are few things more powerful than prayer. Through prayer, God does staggering, miraculous, overwhelming things.
And yet so often I forget all that God does through prayer. Can you relate to me?
To encourage you in your prayers, I compiled 54 of the BEST quotes on prayer. I pray that these prayer quotes encourage you to pray faith-filled prayers that accomplish great things for God.
54 Profound Quotes About Prayer
1.”Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference.” – Max Lucado
2. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” – Martin Luther
3. “True prayer is neither a mere mental exercise nor a vocal performance. It is far deeper than that – it is a spiritual transaction with the Creator of Heaven and Earth.” – Charles Spurgeon
4. “If you believe in prayer at all, expect God to hear you. If you do not expect, you will not have. God will not hear you unless you believe He will hear you; but if you believe He will, He will be as good as your faith.” – Charles Spurgeon
5. “Prayer makes a godly man, and puts within him the mind of Christ, the mind of humility, of self-surrender, of service, of pity, and of prayer. If we really pray, we will become more like God, or else we will quit praying.” – E.M. Bounds
6. “Prayer should not be regarded as a duty which must be performed, but rather as a privilege to be enjoyed, a rare delight that is always revealing some new beauty.” – E.M. Bounds
7. “God can handle your doubt, anger, fear, grief, confusion, and questions. You can bring everything to him in prayer.” – Rick Warren
8. “Prayers outlive the lives of those who uttered them; outlive a generation, outlive an age, outlive a world.” – E.M Bounds
9. “Prayer delights God’s ear; it melts His heart.” – Thomas Watson
Power Of Prayer Quotes
10. “It is possible to move men, through God, by prayer alone.” – Hudson Taylor
11. “To get nations back on their feet, we must first get down on our knees.” – Billy Graham
12. “Prayer is not monologue, but dialogue; God’s voice is its most essential part. Listening to God’s voice is the secret of the assurance that He will listen to mine.” – Andrew Murray
13. “To desire revival… and at the same time to neglect (personal) prayer and devotion is to wish one way and walk another.” – A.W. Tozer
14. “I saw more clearly than ever, that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was, to have my soul happy in the Lord.” – George Mueller
15. “Our praying, however, needs to be pressed and pursued with an energy that never tires, a persistency which will not be denied, and a courage which never fails.” – E. M. Bounds
Inspirational Prayer Quotes
16. “God does nothing but by prayer, and everything with it.” – John Wesley
17. “Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work.” – Oswald Chambers
18. “Search for a person who claims to have found Christ apart from someone else’s prayer, and your search may go on forever.” – E. Bauman
19. “Have you any days of fasting and prayer? Storm the throne of grace and persevere therein, and mercy will come down.” – John Wesley
20. “God will do great things for you if you will wait for Him. Yield to Him. Cooperate with Him.” – John Smith
21. “A day without prayer is a day without blessing, and a life without prayer is a life without power.” – Edwin Harvey
Prayer Quotes For Strength
22. “Quit playing, start praying. Quit feasting, start fasting. Talk less with men, talk more with God. Listen less to men, listen to the words of God. Skip travel, start travail.” – Leonard Ravenhill
23. “None can believe how powerful prayer is, and what it is able to effect, but those who have learned it by experience. It is a great matter when in extreme need to take hold on prayer.” – Martin Luther
24. “You know the value of prayer: it is precious beyond all price. Never, never neglect it.” – Sir Thomas Buxton
25. “Prayer is the first thing, the second thing, the third thing necessary to a minister. Pray, then my dear brother; pray, pray, pray.” – Edward Payson
26. “It is not enough to begin to pray, nor to pray aright; nor is it enough to continue for a time to pray; but we must patiently, believingly, continue in prayer until we obtain an answer; and further we have not only to continue in prayer unto the end, but we have also to believe that God does hear us, and will answer our prayers. Most frequently we fail in not continuing in prayer until the blessing is obtained, and in not expecting the blessing.” – George Müller
27. “Think of what He can do, and how He delights to hear the prayers of His redeemed people. Think of your place and privilege in Christ, and expect great things!” – Andrew Murray
28. “The reason why we obtain no more in prayer is because we expect no more. God usually answers us according to our own hearts.” – Richard Alleine
29. “Satan cannot deny but that great wonders have been wrought by prayer. As the spirit of prayer goes up, so his kingdom goes down.” – William Gurnall
30. “The devil is aware that one hour of close fellowship, hearty converse with God in prayer, is able to pull down what he hath been contriving and building many a year.” – Flavel
31. “Beware in your prayers, above everything else, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what He can do. Expect unexpected things ‘above all that we ask or think.’” – Andrew Murray
32. “If we would pray aright, the first thing we should do is to see to it that we really get an audience with God, that we really get into His very presence. Before a word of petition is offered, we should have the definite consciousness that we are talking to God, and should believe that He is listening and is going to grant the thing that we ask of Him.” – Dr. R. A. Torrey
33. “What is love if it be not fiery? What are prayers if the heart be not ablaze? They are the battles of the soul.” – Samuel Chadwick
34. “Mind how you pray. Make real business of it. Let it never be a dead formality…plead the promise in a truthful, business-like way…Ask for what you want, because the Lord has promised it.” – Charles Spurgeon
35. “Where there is much prayer, there will be much of the Spirit; where there is much of the Spirit, there will be ever-increasing prayer.” – Andrew Murray
36. “A godly man is a praying man. As soon as grace is poured in, prayer is poured out. Prayer is the soul’s traffic with Heaven; God comes down to us by His Spirit, and we go up to Him by prayer.” – Thomas Watson
37. “Every great movement of God can be traced to a kneeling figure.” – D. L. Moody
Quotes On Prayer To Bring You To Your Knees
38. “There is no way that Christians, in a private capacity, can do so much to promote the work of God and advance the kingdom of Christ as by prayer.” – Jonathan Edwards
39. “As it is the business of tailors to make clothes, and the business of cobblers to mend shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray!” – Martin Luther
40. “Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness.” – Martin Luther
41. “Intercessory prayer is exceedingly prevalent. What wonders it has wrought! The Word of God teems with its marvelous deeds. Believer, thou hast a mighty engine in thy hand, use it well, use it constantly, use it with faith, and thou shalt surely be a benefactor to thy brethren.” – C. H. Spurgeon
42. “The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, and prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.” – Samuel Chadwick
43. “What the church needs today is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men who the Holy Spirit can use—men of prayer, men mighty in prayer. The Holy Spirit does not come on machinery but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men—men of prayer.” – E. M. Bounds
44. “Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?” – Corrie Ten Boom
45. “What wings are to a bird and sails to a ship, so is prayer to the soul.” – Corrie Ten Boom
46. “Spiritual work is taxing work, and men are loath to do it. Praying, true praying, costs an outlay of serious attention and of time, which flesh and blood do not relish.” – E.M. Bounds
47. “In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart.” – John Bunyan
48. “Prayer is no petty duty, put into a corner; no piecemeal performance made out of the fragments of time which have been snatched from business and other engagements of life; but it means that the best of our time, the heart of our time and strength must be given.” – E.M. Bounds
49. All I know is that when I pray, coincidences happen; and when I don’t pray, they don’t happen. – Dan Hayes
50. If your day is hemmed in with prayer, it is less likely to come unraveled. – Cynthia Lewis
51. Prayer is the exercise of drawing on the grace of God. – Oswald Chambers
52. Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons, but they are helpless against our prayers. – J. Sidlow Baxter
53. History is silent about revivals that did not begin with prayer. – Edwin Orr
54. If the heart wanders or is distracted, bring it back to the point quite gently and replace it tenderly in its Master’s presence. And even if you did nothing during the whole of your hour but bring your heart back and place it again in our Lord’s presence, though it went away every time you brought it back, your hour will be very well employed. – St. Francis de Sales
Be Stirred To Pray!
My hope is that these quotes about prayer have stirred your heart to pray big, audacious prayers to God. I hope that your prayer life has been enriched by these stirring prayer quotes.
To take hold of God by faith and not let go until God answers. No prayer is too small. No concern is too small. Bring your burdens, big and small, to the Lord.
Because when we pray, things happen. God moves. Circumstances change. Our hearts conform more to his will.
Prayer does mighty things.